Skip to content

Dispute Resolution and Grievance Procedure

The Center for Disability & Access (CDA) reviews student requests for accommodations on a case-by-case basis to promote equal access at the University of Utah.  Accommodations are determined through an individualized and interactive process to develop services that are reasonable and appropriate.  Students must notify CDA when problems or barriers related to receiving or implementing accommodations occur.

If a student has questions or concerns regarding decisions made about the case, the approval process, eligibility for services, and the determination of reasonable of accommodations, the following procedure should be used to discuss concerns or to submit a grievance complaint.

Informal Grievance Process

Students are encouraged to begin an informal grievance process by first consulting with their assigned CDA advisor to discuss the concerns.  The student’s advisor will assist them by reviewing the situation and identifying potential options or solutions.  The advisor will assist the student in working with faculty, instructors, departments, or programs as needed. 

Most disability related issues or complaints regarding accommodations, services, faculty, campus departments, programs, or facilities can be resolved at this level.

When a complaint is specific to or about their CDA Advisor, the student is encouraged to address the concern with the advisor.  However, students may contact the Director of the Center for Disability & Access to discuss their concerns. 

Formal Grievance Process

If the student is not satisfied with the results of the informal process, the student may initiate a more formal grievance by submitting a written complaint to the CDA Director.  The Director will review the student’s statement, relevant information, and consult with individuals related to the case to determine an appropriate resolution to the complaint and accommodation process.

If the student is not satisfied with the results of this process, an appeal may be made to the Student Affairs, Associate Vice President for Health & Wellness (


Students who experience discrimination at any time while at the University of Utah, may contact the Office of Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action, and Title IX ( to discuss concerns or to file a complaint.


Last Updated: 7/14/23