Most computers in CDA labs have the following software installed:
- Kurzweil 3000 (text to speech learning tool for Windows or Mac)
- JAWS (Windows screen reading software)
- Dragon Naturally Speaking (speech to text voice recognition software for Windows or Mac)
- Zoom Text (screen magnifier for Windows)
We also have high-speed scanners and a CCTV (document magnifier) available in our main Olpin Union office and in our Marriott Library computer lab. If you have suggestions for other software or devices you would like to use, email the CDA Assistive Technology Manager or contact your CDA advisor.
- Other software is available from the University of Utah and may be installed on CDA computers if requested. For example, 2 computers in our Marriott Library lab have Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere installed. Check the University IT Software Licensing website for available software and let us know if you would like something installed.
Union Building Room 162, CDA Office Main Computer Lab (Map)
This lab contains three computer workstations on adjustable tables, three high speed scanners, and a CCTV. All of the computers can run either Windows or Mac operating system and include assistive technology software.
This lab is open Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:45pm. The lab is often reserved for training or exam proctoring, so please contact our office at (801) 581-5020 to reserve a time.
Marriott Library, Accessibility Room 2130T (Map)
Located in the Knowledge Commons on the 2nd floor of the Marriott Library, this lab contains seven computer workstations (6 on adjustable tables), and two high-speed scanners. Most workstations run both Windows or Mac operating systems and include assistive technology software.
This lab is open the same hours as the Marriott Library (Marriott hours) and is available to qualified students on a first come first serve basis.
The lab is in room 2130T on the north end of the Knowledge Commons area. It is a locked room and only accessible to students with authorized UCards. To have access to this lab students must have a valid and current university ID card (older UCards may not be able to open the card-swipe door lock).
Please contact the Assistive Technology Manager at CDA to request access. Marriott Library staff or helpdesk does not approve access to this lab. We will need the following information:
- your name
- 19 digit number printed upside-down on the backside of your UCard.
- Your CDS advisor's name
Accessible Computers in Student Computer Labs
We also have computers in public labs across campus. Computers in these labs are marked with the ADA symbol and are equipped with accessible software such as Kurzweil 3000, JAWS, and ZoomText (unless otherwise noted here).
Other Campus Labs
Many other campus labs have accessible hardware and software. These labs include:
- The Union Lab located on the bottom floor of the Union Building (below the food court).
- Milton Bennion Hall (MBH), Rooms 108 and 110
- Alfred Emery Building (AEB), Room 311
- Behavioral Science Building (BEH S), Room 101
For additional information about assistive technology or the computer labs, please contact:
Manager, Assistive Technology & Alternative Format